A Lesson in Self-discipline (or not)

On Saturday evening, after my youth theatre group performed their socks off, I felt an enormous feeling of joy and relief. Another big tick off the big old tick list that is my jigsaw of an existence. I enjoyed that feeling with my colleagues and it washed down well with a cold glass of beer. Then, to dinner with friends, how nice! Nicola is getting married and would like me to read at her wedding, an honour, naturally I am obliging and arrived at dinner with pockets full of sonnets and poetry by dead men and John Cooper Clarke, "I wanna be your setting lotion..." Not, Nicola's first choice. Bottles of red wine ensued as I gesticulated from the sofa belting out Carol Ann Duffy's 'Rings'. Alex brought us bowls of crisps, Nicola got out the Vanilla Vodka. "She uses the word 'ring' quite a lot" says Nicola. "can't you just write me something" "NO!" I can't, it was an immediate reaction, followed by another shot of Vodka. Her wedding day is too special to risk my writing something and besides I can't do romantic or sentimental....another shot of that lovely Vanilla vodka..ooh it really does go down nicely. The last clear image, moment of positive recollection, the tiny weeny shot glass overflowing onto Ellen's coffee table, I am sitting on the floor, shrugging my shoulders in time to Prince, I will have been ranting about something.....I can't quite remember.

An abundance of embarrassment ensued as I convinced Nicola we should go dancing and after that decision had been made the #lost hours began.

I woke up the next morning, clothed, two mascara smudges on my pillow. Still the rant in my belly from the previous nights discussions about poetry. I found three pounds in my bra and apologised to my husband for waking him up at 2am to pay for the taxi. Then it started, I didn't have anything to hand so I wrote them on the back of a packet of Herbal Nytol. The words I needed for Nicola and Steve's poem....despite it, infact because of it, somewhere in those lost hours........I found them. #Lost

#Lost

Comments

Popular Posts