A Rolling Stone

Its been 4 weeks since my performance of Pockets Full of Stones and its a been a mixture of excitement and quiet reflection. I want to perform this piece again and again, I want to rewrite, add, evolve the piece, let it gather some momentum, let it live and breathe. Everything else I have made or written as a solo performer  I have kept hidden away and forgotten. It would be easy to stop now. But what I am struggling with is the autobiography, who cares? What is it about my stories that are worthy of an audience? In what sort of spaces should I be performing and to whom.  So, I need to evaluate, get my head back inside the piece and wriggle around a bit, put it back on for size and keep rolling. If people are like stones, the history of their lives and the lives if their ancestors embedded in them, then perhaps this performance will be like a rolling stone and will become, evolve and gather each time it is performed. I wonder where it will end up.


"These Stones are my ancestors, my footing, my past. They are the stones in the pockets of great writers and poets, the walls of buildings, the flood defences, the executioners and the markers of the dead. They are the edges of islands and they are deep dark caves."





Audience Feedback

I would like to say the warmest thank you to everyone who came to watch my performance and for all the kind things that where said to me afterwards. In order to evaluate and develop Pockets Full of Stones, I would be very grateful for all feedback and critical throught. Please leave your thoughts or comments below or contact me via Facebook, Twittter or by email paulaj.clark@sky.com. Thank you!

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed your performance of 'Pockets Full Of Stones'. It was a well written, bitter-sweet piece which was beautifully delivered. I laughed and cried along with you. I loved your beach, both the metaphor and the stage design. The swishing noise of your dress as you moved sounded just like the sea. Your kitchen table really did look like the piano in the film of the same name. As you spoke about the significance of this table in your life you were able to conjour images of the various domestic scenes you were descibing in my mind as your story unfolded. The part where you held a heavy rock in each of your upturned palms with your arms outstretched in a position of torture was very powerful. The combination of what you were saying, how it was said and the number of times you had to rest your arms in order to continue, communicated both pain and honesty. You were able to effectively convey the truth of your experience in the world. I (your audience)was able to identify closely, intimately, with you through the items you had chosen to include to reprisent the flotsam and jetsam of your life, washed up on the shoreline. You made full use of your space and warmly interacted with your audience. Your conversational style meant that I felt as though you were speaking only to me.

    Your use of the sand to emphasise what you were saying did not achieve its full impact because the audience were level with the stage and could not easily make out all of the shapes you drew, such as the name of your friend. The Labyrinth was more visible, perhaps because you were centre stage/beach when you drew this. The way that your poem flowed seamlessly into your performance was so natural, again echoing the naturalistic setting. It was an excellent poem. Just as 'Pockets Full of Stones' was a very original and accomplished performance. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A touching personal journey,I liked the use of the sand and stones and the way it allowed an interaction with the set and the audience. I would agree that some of the performance was hidden due to the seating arrangement but that did not stop the magic of the piece. I felt engaged, involved and moved by the performance, I enjoyed the use of the space but would like to see the piece performed almost in the round so allowing all the audience to experience in the closeness of the piece. I truly enjoyed "Pockets Full of Stones" and I look forward to seeing more of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a very rewarding piece to watch. From start to finish it was engaging, it was well written and performed convincingly. The story of the artist's life through reference to stones on a beach was conceptually original and thought provoking. The use of genuine personal props that were shared with the audience worked well to bring the viewer into the artists world and take them on a journey through milestones in her life. The viewer was invited to share in deeply personal moments in the artists life, a journey that was well balanced with moments of darkness and moments of light. The balance of comedy and tragedy meant the performance was entertaining yet serious. This was a mature script and was brilliantly performed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok what I wanted to say was
    We've been friends for many years and whilst I've always known you could make me laugh and share my tears, it was amazing to watch this ability being shared with not just be but a whole audience. You delivered wit and sorrow in a clever and beautiful way and I felt an internally boastful that I had managed to be a part of a lot of those stories.
    You touched on aspects of family life in a tactful way that I don't think I'd be capable of, even though I can relate to a lot of what you've felt; a talent I am in admiration of.
    I hope you do get to perform it again as I would love to spread the word and be honoured to take a seat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thoroughly enjoyed 'Pockets Full of Stones' and sharing the treasure trove that was your beach. I would echo the in-a-round comments and would like to have been circled around your beach, or even on your beach (bigger). It was very well written and provided resonant metaphores to me as a female and an artist. Family may weigh us down like 'Pockets Full of Stones' but they are our stones and we wouldnt change those or the memories we have made with them for the world.

    Would love to see the performance again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts